Girls Take the Course

LHS gets a new girls golf team and students try golf competitively

Georgia Hill

Junior Ellie Thelen takes a swing on the golf course.

Some people think of golf as an acronym for Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden. This is not the case at Laingsburg High School.

After many years of girls having to play on the boys team, the high school is now offering a girls golf team. Starting fall of 2018, girls on the Laingsburg golf team have the chance to compete against other girls only teams and to make new friendships with people who share the love for the sport.

“I was really excited when Coach Greg asked me to to help with starting a girls golf team, and when I saw how many people signed up, I was so happy that I could help make it happen,” junior Samantha Walker said.

Walker has been playing golf since she was six years old and was a part of the boys golf team since her freshman year. She has been helping her teammates learn the rules and get the swing of things.

“I like it because it’s not like the other sports I play. It’s super individual, so I can only count on myself for my score,” junior Olivia Sivak said. “It pushes me to be better and it’s a stress reliever for me.”

Sivak has been playing golf since she was 10 years old, although her first time playing competitively was last year, when she played for Bath High School. She loves playing the sport and plans to continue to play, even after she graduates from high school. Unlike Sivak, there is a number of girls on the team who have never played the sport before.

“I thought it would be fun to try something new since it’s my senior year,” senior Taylor Peek said.

Along with playing golf, Peek also works at the Pine Hills Golf Course in downtown Laingsburg. She is grateful for the opportunity to play the sport and hopes that she can continue to use her knowledge of the game in the future.