Laingsburg Middle and High School Students Decorated the Hallways Together for Homecoming

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gabby Paquet, Photo Editor

Students set up to start decorating the hallways for homecoming.

A student makes tall buildings for the Detroit theme.

Sand dunes, lakes, and waterfalls… Oh, MI!

On Sept. 22, eighth-grade students came to the high school to help Student Council decorate hallways for homecoming spirit week.

Student Council has done hallway decorating in the past, but this is the first year they decided to include the eighth graders.

“We wanted to do a better job at reaching out to the middle school Student Council so that they know what to expect [when they get to high school], but we also wanted to mentor them and share the fun,” teacher Daniel Morrill said.

Decorating the hallways is a big task; over the years, Student Council has learned better and more efficient ways to decorate the hallways by preparing in advance.

“One thing that Student Council has done this year that they haven’t done as much in the past is getting a jump start on some of the decorating,” Morrill said. “Here and there, over the course of the past two weeks, they have been drawing, cutting and painting a little bit at a time, so that the decorating went a little bit smoother.”

This year’s homecoming theme, Pure Michigan, had to be reflected in hallway decorations as well. The Student Council trimmed the hallways with paper cutouts of the Mackinac Bridge, skyscrapers of Detroit, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and Mackinac Island fudge shops.

“I thought it was a fun experience, working with the high school students,” eighth-grade student Olivia Rodriguez said.

Having the help of the middle school Student Council members made hallway decorating a

“I think having the few eighth graders that did come was valuable because they were able to help us and give us more input,” freshman Makenzie Brundage said.