The Crimson Mystery

Olivia Rodriguez

The Crimson Mystery follows the journey of detective Montgomery Radcliffe Jr. The detective is hired by a wealthy woman named Dorothy to find her kidnapped sister, famous actress Elizabeth Crimson. The Crimson Mystery is the chosen play for the drama club’s Dinner Theater production, and it will be preceded by a spaghetti dinner in the cafeteria.

Being a senior who has participated in drama all four years of high school, Johnson has acted in several plays. The Crimson Mystery is the first play Johnson has written to be put in production and it be the first ever play she has directed. 

“I’ve been writing for years and years. I have notebooks filled with crappy stories that I’ve written since I was five, but this is the first thing that I’ve ever finished,” said Johnson.

Johnson began writing The Crimson Mystery during Thanksgiving break of her sophomore year. She began to venture into the art of play-writing, and this was the show that was accepted to be put into production.

“I was teasing Mrs. Strickland that I was going to write a play,” Johnson said. “So, after The Property Brothers Musical, Mrs. Strickland said, ‘well, that was interesting,’ and then I submitted this,” Johnson said.

In the duration of Dr. Jennifer Strickland’s time as director of the drama club at Laingsburg High School, Johnson is the first student to write a play to be performed by the drama club. 

“I am thrilled to be able to present to the community a completely student-produced show,” said Strickland. “This has been my goal for years now.”

The show is not only written by student Leilani Johnson, but it is also produced entirely by the members of the drama club.

“Come see the play, please, if not for me. You can go and see it and laugh at it. I don’t mind, but drama needs money really badly,” Johnson said. 

Dinner Theater is the drama club’s most effective fundraiser of each year, but it has not been able to happen in two years as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Attendance would be greatly appreciated by the drama club. Tickets are $20 for the dinner and the show or $10 for just the show. The showings will occur at six pm on March 17, 18, and 19.