Fall Sports Guidelines Change

by Makayla Hagerty

Makayla Hagerty, Website Manager

The Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) decided on August 14 that fall football would be moved to the spring. Individual sports such as golf, cross country, tennis and other sports  where students can easily follow social distance guidelines teams were allowed to continue in the fall.

¨I felt very excited and lucky that we were some of the few people to still get to have a senior season,” senior cross country runner Shaily Baynes said.

On August 31, MHSAA stated that if governor Whitmer adjusted Executive Order 160, which requires social distancing in all clubs and activities, the MHSAA would consider continuing football in the fall. After Whitmer gave her permission for volleyball, girls swimming and diving, and boys soccer, the MHSAA decided that they would reinstate the football season as well.

¨When we finally got the news that the season was back on, I honestly shouted for joy. I sent four or five messages out on Remind to the team to let them know what was going on and what our plan was,¨ football head coach Brain Borgman said.

Sports are more than just about the competition; it’s a way for athletes to clear their head and a way for their peers to support them at the Friday Night Lights.

¨I know this season will not be the same as past years, but we are thankful and excited to be playing football in the fall. There is nothing like Friday Night Lights!¨ Borgman said.